In This Article, We Will Discussed What Is 2+2 Dialogue & Comcasa Pact/Agreement OR What Did 2+2 Dialogue Achieve, Is 2+2 Dialogue Held For Duad Ibrahim & Haziz Saeed? Along with all the important point of 2+2 dialogue for Upsc Examination as well as for General Knowledge.
The 2+2 dialogue between India and the US has been described as an upgrade ties is between both countries. analyst feel it is an acknowledgement of India rise an economic and strategic power. the United States holds such ministerial dialogues only with Australia and Japan and now with India.
What Is 2+2 Dialogue
A 2+2 dialogue refers to a mechanism between two Nations. in this dialogue, 2 appointed ministers from each country meet up to discuss the strategic and security interest. The goal of this meeting is to enhance high-level engagement on bilateral regional and global issues.
India and the United States of America established the 2+2 ministerial dialogue in June 2017 during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Washington DC. The formal announcement came on August 2017.
The new dialogue format replaces the India US strategic and commercial dialogue that was a feature during Barack Obama tenure. The dialogue efforts to generate sustainable economic growth, create Job’s, improve business and investment climate, enhance livelihood and sustain the rules-based global order.
The new 2 + 2 mechanism put defence and security relationship between the two countries at the forefront and centre stage. The framework of the talks includes external affairs minister and Defence Minister from India and their American counterpart secretary of state and Defence Secretary.
US and India have never had the 2+2 dialogue at the minister level with any country. all that the secretary level India has similar 2 + 2 dialogues with other countries like Japan. The United States declares India as a major defence partner in 2016 and the US is supporting India’s membership of NSG.
In the first 2+2 dialogue between the US and India, both countries discussed key issues and also signed the landmark com cause agreement that gives India access to encrypted American Technology. The two countries also agreed on working together towards entry of India in the nuclear supplier’s group.
India and USA strategic partners major and independent stakeholders world affairs. the two sides committed to work together on regional and global issues including bilateral, trilateral and quadrilateral format.
Both countries decided to establish secure communication between the minister of external affairs of India and the US Secretary of State and between the Minister of Defence of India and US Secretary of Defence to help maintain regular high-level Communication on emerging development.
India and US signed the landmark security pact Communications compatibility and security agreement on The Comcasa Pact/agreement.
What Is Comcasa Pact/Agreement
The Comcasa Pact paves way for the transfer of communication security equipment from the US to India that will facilitate interoperability between the forces and potentially with other militaries that use The United State origin systems for the secure data link.
- The Comcasa pact is an India specific version of communication and information on Security Memorandum of the agreement. it comes into force immediately and is valid for a period of 10 years.
- The Comcasa pact allows India to procure transfer specialised equipment for encrypted Communications for The U.S origin military platforms like C-17 C 130 and P8i.
- Both countries will implement this agreement in a manner that is consistent with the national security interest of the other.
- The Comcasa pact is one of the three required defence agreement that must be signed by a nation before becoming eligible to obtain Hi-Tech military hardware from the Pentagon.
India has signed one of them the Logistic exchange Memorandum of agreement in 2016. the two countries have not yet started a dialogue on the remaining agreement. The minister reforms the strategic importance of India’s designation as the major defence partner of the United States and committed to expanding the scope of India’s MDP status.
What Did 2+2 Dialogue Achieve
The reviewed growth of bilateral, engagements in support of maritime security and maritime domain awareness.Heralded start exchanges between NAVCENT and Indian Navy.
- India included by the United States among the top tier of countries entitled to licence-free exports, re-exports, and transfers under License Exception STA-1.
- Committed to exploring other means to support further expansion in two-way trade in defence items and defence manufacturing supply chain linkages.
- Talks on cross-border terrorism.
- Deepened ties in International forums like the United Nations and the Financial Action Task Force for counterterrorism cooperation.
- What did it achieve Both sides discussed ongoing efforts by India and the US in promoting an Afghan-led, Afghan-owned and Afghan government-controlled reconciliation process.
- Emphasised trade and investment ties as an important element of the bilateral relationship
- Underscored India’s bid for membership of the Nuclear Suppliers Group.
- The biggest political engagement between India and the United States and both country is expressed unanimity against the cross-border terrorism emanating from Pakistan. the two sides also Express support for an Afghan peace and reconciliation process.
- One of the key issues was cross-border terrorism. addressing a joint press conference external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj said the Indo-U.S counter-terrorism Corporation has acquired a new qualitative purpose .welcoming the recent U.S move to the designated 3 Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba terrace.
- Defence minister Of India Nirmala Sitharaman said India and US were committed to working together to combat the persistent threat of terrorism and other security challenges.
Is 2+2 Dialogue For Duad Ibrahim & Haziz Saeed?
- At the dialogue the United States also agreed to take action against Daud Ibrahim, the mastermind of the Mumbai blast, a pact was signed between India and US to track the underworld Don, who is believed to be hiding in Pakistan.
- The US shared India’s concern that Pakistan continues to allow Mumbai attack mastermind and Jamat Ud dawah(JUD) chief Hafiz Saeed despite the reward. the US has placed on his head for his role interactivity. the agreement between India and the US assume significance as JUD led by Hafiz Saeed was declared as a foreign terrorist organisation by the U.S in June 2014. Hafiz Saeed also carries a 10 million USD American reward on his head for his role interactivity. The JUD is responsible for Mumbai attack.
The 2 + 2 India-US dialogue between the two sides concluded the elimination of terrorism was crucial for global peace and stability.
The United States has agreed to explore a mutually agreeable solution on the issue of purchase of Uranium oil by India. the US has given in November deadline for countries to halt oil imports from Iran. but New Delhi maintains that is not a viable proposition for the country’s since Iran is a key partner for India. saying that the US did not want to penalize a great strategic partner like India. the US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the US would work with India on this issue.